Monday, June 6, 2011

The Big Chicken


If you live anywhere in my region, you know the enduring and endearing landmark "The Big Chicken." I completed this painting some years ago and sold it shortly thereafter - to whom, I have no idea.

How important is it that the artist knows who has purchased her/his work? If the artist becomes regionally, nationally or globally well known, for the most part, collectors will present themselves. And, for these artists, often authorship is the reason an artwork is bought. But, no doubt, this painting was acquired, not for the artist, but because of its subject, as is the reason I painted it.

I continue to be intrigued by values and importance imparted to art for reasons that are, for me at least, difficult to pin down.

"The Big Chicken", 2007, oil-canvas, 36" x 24"

No comments:

Post a Comment