Friday, February 13, 2009

Ronnie


Ronnie was in the waiting room at my office whiling away the time (as we all do) when he happen to see this painting on the wall. He inquired of the receptionist whether Dr. Bell had "done that painting." She informed, yes, that it was someone Dr. Bell knew. Ronnie replied, " I know who it is. It's me!"
In fact many years earlier Ronnie had done some house painting for me during which time I made a photo of him. Several years passed, however, before I actually painted this. Happily he was pleased that I had "painted him" and I was pleased his likeness was so recognizable.
Ronnie's face has a lot of character which interested me as a potential subject for an art work (he's also quite an interesting guy). This has become a favorite of mine and now hangs permanently in my studio. Created in 2007, it is encaustic on canvas measuring 24 inches square. As always, click on the image for a larger view.

13 comments:

  1. Bruce, that must have been a wonderful treat for Ronnie to see a painting based on him and not knowing it existed. Certainly had to have made his day. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina, Once again thank you for your encouragement. Sometime I'd like for you to see this and few other more recent encaustics in person. The texture and colors peeking through semi-transparent wax glazes are difficult to see in a photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I thought that when I first saw the image of the painting. Having seen your beautiful encaustics in person, a photo never comes close. When I saw the painting of Ronnie I had that exact thought about the transparency I was probably missing via a photo. Maybe when I get through with these painting I am working on I can check ol Ronnie out in person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tina, I would love that to happen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is absolutely amazing this is my father-in-law and the photo does indeed depict Ronnie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is all Ronnie talked bout in Texas a few weeks ago. I had to come check out my stepdad.
    I would have to agree with him. This is a awesome picture of him.

    David

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes this the only thing he talked about. He told everyone that he talked to down there.
    I remember when we was doing the work at Dr.Bell's house.

    Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  8. An amazing painting of an amazing father in law.
    Thank you for sharing this with us!
    Sandra
    (David's wife)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is my Daddy and it's wonderful. You did a great job.
    Charmin

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fabulous portrait - and a great story too.

    Keep on painting!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. To Ronnie's family, thank you so much. Since you know Ronnie, you are the best judges as to whether I've captured his essence. Your opinions are held in high regard.
    Patrice, Thank you too for your compliments. After visiting your sites, I am doubly humbled in view of your great talent!
    -Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am Ronnie sister and it looks just like him Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would like to see this Painting in person when and where can it be seen at?


    Daniel

    ReplyDelete